Monday, January 7, 2013

Eating Organic on a Budget Part 2

Sorry for the super long delay from Part 1......It was a busy few months! These posts are because, as a family of 5, I don't find it fair that we can't "afford" organic, wholesome foods.  So, I've been determined to find organic, whole foods at a good price.  If you don't do a Paleo, Gluten/Sugar free lifestyle, Part 1 will suit you, as well as part two so keep reading!  

{*SIDE NOTE Since part 1 I have changed our eating quit a bit to sugar & gluten free (well I try). I no longer buy a lot of grains (pasta, bread, cereal, oatmeal).  Which gives me more for my meats, veggies, fruits, & fats.  My boys do MUCH better w low sugar/grains. My husband gets less headaches & I don't have tummy aches like I have my whole life!}

The Budget. We do the Envelope System.
I get our budgeted grocery money out in cash, and what I try* to do is save a few dollars each trip and put it away for something I want to save for.  Recently I used it on Christmas shopping, and am now starting over again. It's a great way to organize your money. I suggest you budget separately from your grocery money, a gluten free pizza night from Dominos and keep that in your "Eating Out" envelope for a night off :). 

Let's determine the weekly budget for groceries.  Example:

Family of 5, Budget $125 a week for food-

Fruit/Veggies- $25
Meat/Seafood-$45
Fats- $15
Dairy- $25
 Misc-$10
Condiments- $5


 
Fruits-
*Buy fruits that are in season, this way you can afford organic produce easier. Trader Joe's, Costco, Whole Foods, Farmers Markets, Walmart, & Target all have Organic produce.
*Only buy organic for the "dirty dozen":

1
Apple
Apples
2
Celery
Celery
3
Red Pepper
Sweet bell peppers
4
Peaches
Peaches
5
Strawberries
Strawberries
6
Nectarines
Nectarines
– imported
7
Grapes
Grapes
8
Spinach
Spinach
9
Lettuce
Lettuce
10
Cucumber
Cucumbers
11
Blueberries
Blueberries
– domestic
12
Potatoe
Potatoes

Some of our staples are: Organic Carrots for less than $1 a bag, organic Granny Smith's for $2.50 a bag, organic frozen broccoli for $3 a bag, (2) organic Spinach for $2 a bag, Banana's (don't need to be organic) for $.50 a lb all from Trader Joe's.  At Costco I buy organic Yams (huge bag) $8, and a BIG box of Oranges for $10.  At the Farmer's Market- organic Celery for $1.50 for one head and one pound of organic grapes for $2 (to name a couple). 

Meat/Seafood-

I try to do a weekly meal plan so I know what I'll be making. 

*You can buy a whole organic chicken for around $13, and spread that for at least 2 dinners & 1 lunch.  (Stay tuned for my budget friendly recipes)
* 2 packages of organic free range drumsticks (for bone broth & chicken soup!) $6,
*5 dozen eggs Costco (not organic here yet, sometimes you have to pick & choose) $8,
*package of 3 Organic ground beef at Costco $17 (grass fed is BEST, & I recently found it local for 5 a lb, but if you can't organic is better than regular).

Fats-
Nuts, Avocados, Coconut oil, or Olive oil. You can buy a huge jar of organic Coconut oil from Costco that will last you at least two months for $15. Buy that one week, the next week buy Olive oil & organic nuts, the next week buy just nuts & avocados. Or how ever that's convenient for you :)

Dairy- 
Well...I'm a huge fan and promoter of Organic RAW dairy.  It's not always accessible or with in budget though.  Alternatives are organic pasteurized milk products (even though some say it's a dead food because it's pasteurized, I still think it's better than no milk products, especially for growing kids, and ONLY if they are tolerant of lactose. If someone in your family is lactose intolerant, try raw diary and goats milk products.)

*2 gallons Organic full fat milk $12 (I tend to like Horizon the best, their milk tastes the creamiest, like real full fat milk should. I get from Walmart or Target).
*Tillamook Cheese (grass fed cows when it's season, animals treated with care, no HMO's or antibiotics) $5 a lb.
*BUTTER!!! (3) 8 oz Kerrygold butter (grass fed!) Trader Joe's $7.50

Hope this helped someone, if it did, please leave a comment!  I'll be back with budget friendly organic meal ideas!!

Love, The Curvy Housewife 

PS Weigh In tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I really wish I had a Trader Joe's near me but I do have a Costco and I love their food. Hard to buy that much food for only 2 people though. Maybe we'll invest in a deep freezer ;)

Unknown said...

I would love to see some budget friendly meal ideas! i love your budget!!