Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Fog of Obesity



Have you ever been driving and when you arrive home you think, "How did I just get here?". You were either listening to the radio, in deep thought, or on the phone (tsk tsk!) and you just somehow made it home with out even thinking about where you were going.

I think that's exactly how someone becomes obese.  It's like, one day you see a picture of yourself and can't believe that's you, or you try on a shirt that use to fit perfect and you can't button it at all. I know for me, I was definitely in a fog. When I first started gaining weight I was 18.  I remember my evil boss telling me, "Look at your jacket, you can't even button it."  I HONESTLY hadn't even realized that, or at least didn't pay attention to it.  I also received a lot of, "Feel my abs, now feel yours. And I'm forty." yeah...evil.

 I struggle with thinking that I actually am obese. And that it does effect my health. Yes. It's true. Often I think, "I'm not that fat.  I have all the time I need to get healthy, nothing will happen. I'm young. Nothing is happening right now to my health.." ect ect. Then I see my reflection in a window and am shocked. Or a picture on my camera.  Or I need gallbladder surgery.

I believe that once you see clearly, what is ACTUALLY happening right now...that's when you can change.  I speaking to myself here.

We watched "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" a couple weeks ago and I couldn't help but thank God for how He created us, that our bodies are made to heal itself.  If you have a cut, you clean it, then it heals it self. If you brake your arm, the doctor sets it, but it heals itself.  If your obese, and feed your body healthy clean food,  it will heal it self. AMAZING. 

BUT....some things get damaged from being obese and can have consequences that last. Such as joint injuries, damaged organs, and according to Bill Clinton on "Killer at Large" he was an obese child and has heart problems today from wear and tear on it. I am looking into this more as I have not found much research on it.

Here is a list of the most common consequences from obesity from the CDC website.  Obesity is now called, an epidemic.  Scary huh?



  • Coronary heart disease
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure)
  • Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
  • Stroke
  • Liver and Gallbladder disease
  • Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
  • Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
  • Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)
WHOA.  The fog is lifted.  I am seeing clearly right now. The truth is, any of these things could happen to me or you if we have a BMI over 30.



Love, The Curvy Housewife

No comments: