Monday, February 25, 2013

HELP..How do you get baby to sleep?

Monday's are always so crazy, trying to get back on schedule from the weekend. I've been so tired, and lazy feeling! My husband has been so busy working, coaching baseball, then working a side job as well, that I feel like a single Mom sometimes! This too shall pass though...can't wait. 

How do you motivate yourself to clean, do laundry and cook when all you want to do is get a blanket, tea, and read? LOL I really need to get moving! I wish I could read! It's "quite time" right now, and Reece is suppose to be napping but instead Shane just came and told me he was ripping up a book {sigh} and now he's nursing.

He's in this tough stage, where he still wants to take a morning nap, and around 11 falls asleep. Then he isn't tired till late afternoon...and falls asleep...and wakes up around 6 or 7pm and isn't tired for bed!

I nurse him to sleep at 9:30pm and put him in his bed.  Then with out fail, he wakes up at 1:00am every night and comes in bed with us and nurses back to sleep. He is almost 15 months old.

I am all for co-sleeping with babies, but I think it's time he sleeps all night in his bed, and I am not willing to do cry it out, {horrible experience w baby #1}. I know I use to believe in Babywise, but after a lot of research on it and it's relation to breastfeeding and what happened with boy 1, I am not willing to do that again.  Some of my friends swear by it....my boys just must be stubborn because they never fall asleep while crying in their crib! They freak out!

There has to be a gentle way to get babies old enough to sleep through the night to do just that.

How do you do it? Any advice? I know this is a controversial topic...I am not trying to start a debate. Honestly just looking for advice :)





3 comments:

The Skinny on Staci said...

My #1 didn't sleep through the night until she was 23 months old! The next two were awesome sleepers, sleeping through the night by 2 months old. Our son, #4, nightmare once again. He did start finally sleeping at night around 10 months old, but now he is just 2 months shy of 4 and for the last year has been getting up and coming to our bed. If we take him back to his, he either screams and cries and wakes everyone up (so as to punish us and let us know not to try that, lol) or just gets up time and time again, waking every couple hours, and coming to our bed AGAIN. :-/ I wouldn't care except that he pulls my hair in his sleep, kicks me, digs his toenails down the back of my undies into my crack, tosses and turns, etc. LOL M-I-S-E-R-Y!!!
My only advice to you is he's probably ready for only 1 nap a day. Somehow, get him to stay awake longer in the mornings and go down around 1:00 pm or so instead to sleep (hopefully) a couple hours and then be ready for bed that night.
Best of luck! Been there, done that, and it is NOT fun.

Adrienne said...

Thank you Staci! Oh my that sounds awful! LOL!!! I guess it's not funny though is it? ;) I think you are right about the nap!

Valerie said...

Adrienne, there are lots of "gentle" sleep "training" methods that are not CIO or Babywise. Do you have a Kindle? If so, I can "loan" you some books about this. Actually you can even just download the Kindle app on your phone or even on the computer. I would need your e-mail address to loan them to you, and you would have them for 2 weeks, I think. Let me know if you're interested - ping me on FB!