Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Homeschooling?

Our oldest son, Shane, goes to K4 one day a week.  I dread each Tuesday! I thought I would feel relieved to have one less kid at home for a few hours, but I don't. I miss him, and I hate having to wake him up early and then leave my tasks at home to go get him when it's over. Which then turns into a few errands since we are already out, and before we know it, it's time to start dinner, then we are off for visitation for church, then BAM the day is over and I got nothing done.

I know that is NOT an excuse to homeschool. That's just my Tuesday! I would NEVER put him in a public school. Ever. Our church has an amazing school, which he will be able to attend for free next year since my husband works at the church.

I really feel like I can't give up the opportunity for him to go to private school for free just because I want him home. But I also feel like the Lord is working on me about homeschooling.  He knows I wouldn't be very good at it....I can barely maintain my house now!

I often leave projects undone, go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink, leave piles of laundry for a day or two ok three days....

Could I do it?

It's a huge commitment. 

Lots of prayer will be going on about this.

What do you think? Do you have experience homeschooling? pros? cons?

ps is it home school or homeschool? spell check doesn't know....lol.



2 comments:

The Skinny on Staci said...

I think you know I homeschool. I do it as one word. ;) Anyway, do pray about it. I know friends who put their kids in what they thought was a really good Christian school, only to have their kids have lots of bad influences in their lives. Now they homeschool, but since their kids started out with a taste of kids and school, they sometimes give them issues about homeschooling. Anyway, the first year is def the hardest. Finding the curriculum that works for you is a big deal. I spend an hour and a half a day formally schooling my K5 daughter. It takes 4 hours to homeschool my 3rd graders. I have turned to video schooling for some of their subjects, which has been a true blessing and the girls love it! We involve ourselves in a local homeschool community. We even have a homeschool yearbook! :) Lots to think about, I know. Now that you have my private email, feel free to shoot away with questions if you want to.

Adrienne said...

Thank you Staci!! I needed to hear that!! Lots of truth there.