Tuesday, March 5, 2013

80/20

Although I am an advocate for clean eating, and eating low sugar, and making nourishing meals, I DON'T do it all the time. GASP***

I believe some  people, myself included need to refrain from processed foods and sugars for a time to heal their bodies/guts and to detox.  I am going to be started back on the Whole 30 again {maybe this time I will finish it?} because my stomach has been really acting up again.  I don't eat gluten %100 of the time because it's just not worth it to get sick. But what about gluten free treats? Pizza? Ice cream?

I had to really think about this though....do I want to live a life where I can never enjoy a treat? Never have a cookie or donut? Never go out to eat? The answer for me is NO.  No one can be perfect all the time and to pretend to do so is just setting myself up for failure. 

I am perfectly content with the 80/20 plan. Clean %80 of the time. %20 of the time, not.  This might mean a meal a week, a treat every two weeks, whatever.  I don't want people not to want to invite us over for dinner because "They don't eat that". Although I believe it is already like this with mine and Cody's gluten intolerance.  Even family gets a little awkward. lol.

There is a difference in not eating something because it makes you sick, or because your being snobby and saying, "I don't eat junk".  I would never do the latter.

Bad timing for this post....because soon I am going to cut all processed and sugar out again for a time...{30 days} {14 days} {7 days}.  {Most days the only sugar I have is from fruit, and maybe a little Chex cereal}.
 I don't want to....but I have to, because my stomach is telling me it's time.  I have something going on with my gut, it may be Candida, it may be SIBO {small intestinal bacterial overgrowth}, I don't know...and doctors don't either...they just say it's IBS. My chiro told me I had a bacterial overgrowth he determine through muscle testing.  I already thought I did because of the symptoms.  Sugar feeds bacteria. 

What I really need to do is go on a strict detox to rid the bacteria, but since I am still breastfeeding I am waiting. 

Cody gets sad every Sunday when he can't have a donut at church.  He's been begging me to make some "Guuten {gluten} free donuts".  How could I say no to that? Today I through together some ingredients I already had {I'm sick with a cold and didn't want to venture out to the store}.  They turned out great! I'll be posting the recipe soon :)


1 comment:

Ak said...

I am right with you on this. I have to make it livable. Eating good, healthy, and nutritious foods is important to me, so I don't see it as a way I'm going to eat until I reach a goal weight. Instead, I will try to eat clean MOST of the time. It has to make a difference! Love your blog. :)