Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gear and Clothing


I am excited to announce that I have 3 sponsors already!! Whoot! That is so exciting to me. Praise the Lord! One is my Grandparents, another my aunt Sherry, and the third is Tori my dear friend from Hawaii :) Hopefully more people will help too. Davey is so sweet too, yesterday he went and recycled our recyclables, getting $23 and counted change and is giving me $13 in change. I love him!
So I was able to get a few gear items I need, I am dividing all funds into gas, gear, and Breast Cancer Fund until gas and gear are covered and then ALL goes to Breast Cancer Funds. Time was running out on renting a wetsuit. It takes 5-7 days to get here and I need to practice swimming in it. I requested these ones, hopefully they have one of them available other wise I get what they have in my size and sleeveless. I read that for 68-70 degree water I will be okay in a sleeveless wetsuit, which I think will help in my swimming too, so my arms don't feel constricted. Only $40!

I also ordered a small Bodyglide helps get wetsuit on and off and prevents chaffing. And I ordered gels [chews packed with carbs and calories for energy during the race] and power bars. I couldn't find gels anywhere other than online and I know I need them so I had to get the shipped ground 3-5 days. Hopefully they get here! Only $1.99.
So now as for gear goes, all I need is a top that I can wear under my wetsuit, so in T1 I don't need to change (besides taking off wetsuit). It isn't just a time thing for me, it is a modesty preference. I really don't want to take off the wetsuit and be in just my sports bra on top. (No one wants to see that anyways..lol) I'd feel much better if I had a compression top (dry quickly, and have added support).

My Grandma is too sweet. She asked me what I need to eat for dinner the night before and for breakfast in the morning of race. I am so glad we can stay with them! I know I need pasta the night before, so I requested pasta, yams, and carrots. Lots of healthy carbs there. I also found out that you should eat dinner no closer than 12 hours from race time so all the carbohydrates digest and are ready to be used as energy. (That's one of many mistakes I made before my first tri). Finding what to eat for breakfast was a hard task. Many triathletes like to drink their breakfast on race day (calories are easier broken down and ready to be used quicker). But then you face the hunger pains. I don't like hunger pains! So I read of you can have 1,000 calories 4 hours before race or 300-400 2 hours before race, and low fat and low fiber. So, after much research I decided I will set my alarm for 4:00 am and at 4:30 am (my wave time is 8:30am), drink 2 Ensure drinks (230 calories each, packed with carbs and vitamins) then, eat a bowl of oatmeal and a banana (280 calories, low fat, low fiber, lots of carbohydrates). You should not eat closer than two hours to race time. Hopefully I won't have hunger pains right around race time, but I know I will have pre-race tummy jitters which usually make you not hungry.

At my first tri I ate a banana right before going out... not such a good idea. The energy I needed was not digested yet. Another mistake. Then right after the swim in T1, I will have 1/2 PowerBar, a Gatorade, and gels. On the bike course I will eat gels if needed and drink Gatorade and water. In T2 I will try to be quicker, most likely I will have to use the potty, then drink a Gatorade before going out, and carry a water and my gels and sip and chew on them during the run.

I also just realized that See Jane Run is only a Sprint! Which means no long or Olympic courses. Also, I am suppose to, and hoping to race in the 25-29 category, but may be in 19-25. I don't want that because the are young and fast most likely. I feel much more prepared and pumped for this one.. Can't wait! & Already looking ahead for another tri in a couple months. =)
PS Today I am back on track tracking my points and plan to eat my points until Sunday, then increase a few points and eat mostly carbs to store the energy.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

This is all so exciting!!! It sounds like you have a plan...a girl's best friend. I can't wait to hear how you do. I'm rooting for you!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear how it went!! I'm so excited for you!

Adrienne said...

Thank you both!! I am so excited too! I will be sure to blog asap. =)

Jocelyn said...

I'm so proud of you. You're such an inspiration and definitely the inspiration I need right now as I have fallen off the wagon and been run over it a few times. My goal is to finish the weekend spending time with my family and then on Monday, try to start eating better. :)

Adrienne said...

thank you Jocelyn! You will do great. I always do so much better when I get focused, then have a start date and am mentally prepared. =)