Monday, January 10, 2011

The Ugly Truth

Weigh in: Down -3.5 :) 191.1! Almost 180's. Can't wait.

Work out yesterday: 64 laps x 25 yards = 1600 yards = almost 1 mile. Took 49 mins.
1 mile run, ran up hill 7 incline for 1 min, got heart up to 177.

I thought it would be a good idea to take my new bike to a bike shop to see if it fits me. I am uncomfortable on it. My bum hurts the whole time, there is no option for you to put your hands on the upper handle bars because they are aerodynamic bars. Because of the position I am forced to ride in the whole time my lower back hurts. I was really dreading taking it in because I was very scared that our investment was not a good one. Plus I really love the bike, it's fast, beautiful, professional, specific for triathletes, ect.

The Ugly Truth, I find out it's actually 55 cm when the guy who sold it to me said it was 52. Our bad for not measuring it. He than told me I should actually be riding a 50cm. This bike is actually perfect for my husband. A 5'9" man that is athletic and flexible.
He than told me they don't make these bikes anymore, and that they are a European design, which is too long of a reach for a short woman like me.
Good news though, if I have to keep it, I can just switch the saddle, and possible buy new handle bars. But it's still not the ideal bike for me.

He said he wouldn't recommend doing a half Ironman [56 miles] on it.

He did go on to encourage me though and told me if I couldn't sell it that it was okay and it's not a tragedy. That I can do some things to it that will help, and to ride the crap out of it and get my moneys worth. And to be honest I kinda hope I get to keep it, but really I know it's much better for me to have a bike that properly fits to avoid injury.

To say I am bummed is an understatement. It's such an incredible bike, just not for me. Right now I have it listed on eBay [tear]. If I can sell it, I have to save a few hundred dollars to be able to get a proper bike [tear & sniffle]. I test rode a Specialized road bike women specific, in my size. It felt amazing. On my mountain bike I felt totally comfortable and I could ride for a long time. Same with this one I tested. It's one of the "cheapest" rode bikes that are good quality. $990. Sheesh.
I know you all would like to help with this, I take checks and cash.

Just kidding. But, seriously. No no I'm kidding. [But, really]..{just kidding again.} :)

Praying God will work it all out.

So if you are thinking about getting a road bike... DO NOT buy one with out being fitted on it buy a professional. Really.

Grieving her bike,
The Curvy Housewife

5 comments:

Sherri said...

Oh no. How sad :( I like the new layout!

Christi said...

I hope that you are able to sell your bike quickly! It is no fun riding on a bike that doesn't fit.

Adrienne said...

Thanks guys! :)

Weightless said...

How disappointing! It was such a cute road bike and cute road bikes are hard to find, especially at a reasonable price. I'm confident that you will be able to sell it, especially as weather warms up. If you got a good deal on it, you might be able to sell it for a profit.

I really like specialized bikes, after riding my aunts. It wasn't even my size but it all just felt so smooth. Best wishes, always.

Adrienne said...

I know it's such a bummer :( I think one reason I really wanted it is because it's so pretty. But I rather be comfortable! :)