Saturday, January 21, 2012

Gluttony

According to the Miriam dictionary-

Gluttony:
1. Excess in eating and drinking
2. Greedy or excessive indulgence

Glutton:
1. a. One given habitually to greedy and voracious eating and drinking

Habitual:
1. Having the nature of a habit

Voracious:
1. Having a huge appetite; ravenous

Have you ever thought eating too much could be sinful? I really didn't.

God created food for man. Nutritious fruits and vegetables, grains, milk, eggs, meat, even sugar! He created food for us to survive, but also to enjoy.

He created us to taste, and be satisfied. For food to fuel us and give us all our needed nutrients.

He did not intend for us to eat man made chemically processed junk. It doesn't satisfy us, which is why we always want more. It's not good for us, which is why we feel like crud after. In fact it harms us, leaving us with heart disease, diabetes, and cavities.

Proverbs 23:21
"For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags."

Deuteronomy 21:20 "And they shall say to the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; He is a glutton, and a drunkard."

Wow. Well sound like gluttony is not a very good attribute!

I've always thought, God doesn't care what we eat. Or what we look like. But these verses clearly state otherwise.

Habitually is a key word in the definition. It is a habit to eat like this, and it will take hard work, time and prayer to break these habits.

This post is for ME. I have no excuses to eat junk. Although I do. Logging all my food is very eye opening. It's not changing the way I eat, yet, but it's showing me my HABITS. I eat when I'm not hungry. I eat what I see. If I'm in a hurry and I'm hungry I grab a stack of small cookies that have no nutrition instead of a banana. Why?! Habits!

I need to change. My baby needs me to change. My body needs me to change.

One plus this week is, I've been much more aware of what I am eating, and although I eat the junk, I have been eating fruit, veggies and vitamins. Mainly because I know Reece is taking all my nutrients.

I'm praying God will help me not to be a glutton.

Love, The Curvy Housewife

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Just found your blog earlier this week. I'm in the same place! I am currently reading Made to Crave by Lysa Tyrkurst. It is helping me to get healthier for the right reasons. I'm also using www.myfitnesspal.com to track my food and exercise. It has been a huge benefit for me.

I pray God draws us both closer to Him as we make healthy new habits.

Samantha