Thursday, November 1, 2012

Big Changes.

Last week weigh in: 181.9!!!!!! whoot!

Thank you all who prayed for my friend Karen. The funeral went well.  Please keep praying for her as she has to learn to live with out her husband.

Did I mention in a previous post I was gonna try to go grain/sugar free? Well you all know I have been having several issues with my teeth.  So, the nutrition junkie I am, I began to dig in here.

As the dentist told me, "You need one pulled, two bill root canals, and one regular filling" I cried.  Literally.  I did get my tooth pulled because it was infected, and I'm glad I did.  But the other teeth, $1,200 x 2 + $500? plus that's only one side of my mouth!

I came across Weston A. Price's study, which I bought and its on the way. I find this FASCINATING. I am a HUGE believer in the power of food, and the harm food can do to us.  This was my thought the whole time..."If a broken arm can heal itself, why can't our teeth?"  I asked my dentist.  "Can I heal a cavity on my own naturally?"  "No. Absolutely not. I mean, I know you will see stuff online, but it doesn't work." I don't think he's lying. He is a good man.  I think he's never seen anyone be successful at this. It is a daunting task isn't it? My plan is pretty extreme. Who wants to do that?

I do! I am only 27 and there is no excuse for me to have teeth being pulled and drilled left and right.  So I began to think....what about the people who didn't have dentists? And then I found Dr. Price's research. He actually traveled the world and studied different cultures and their teeth.  This is a Dentist.  He saw something was missing in America regarding our teeth and oral heath.  The rise of braces, and drilling is outrageous. 

I found some amazing articles on this from health blogs.  How to remineralize your teethHow this women healed her sons big cavity.

I am going to plunge in big time. I have cut grains by about %50.  I am going to do it...make it %100. Ack, I said it.  I'm scared.  My plan....

1. Cut out grains (link, why they slowly kill you) such a great link. Answered my questions!
2. Cut out sugar
3. Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Ghee (already doing) totally nasty fyi.
4. Raw butter (which I made my self! already doing)
5. Bone broth- Oh.Em.Goodness. How did I never know this was so good for you!? not talking about store bought broth...but real homemade bone broth...tons of minerals essential to bone health!
6. Possibly switch to a more natural toothpaste....I already use Tom's.

I have been looking at photos of Native American Women, they all look like they have their teeth when they are old.  :)
I am always on a quest to find the right food for our family.  I have been fighting doing "Paleo" for a while.  Long while.  I use to say I'm against it. Grains are important.  Too much meat gives you cancer (yes if it isn't organic!). Jesus ate bread. Ect.  But you know how you find out what really helps you and your family?? YOU TRY IT. So...gulp. I think I am going to try the Whole 30.  I have lots of friends who's health has been significantly improved.  People I know personally who have lost a lot of weight and cured a lot of aliments.  My main reason are my teeth, my stomach (which has always given me problem since I was little), my over all health, and to lose weight.  AND so my boys will have health, healthy teeth and strong jaw bones and teeth that don't need braces.  REad that article! Amazing what Weston A. Price found in 1930's!!

Please don't judge ;) I am in search of what really brings health and heals. Sometimes everyone needs to switch things up. Especially if we have chronic or re-occuring pain, sickness, ect. AND DON'T WORRY..I WILL BE GOING TO THE DENTIST TO MAKE SURE I SEE PROGRESS! :)

PS I really need to start working out again!

Do you eat grain free? Advice!! 

Love, The Curvy Housewife

2 comments:

The Skinny on Staci said...

Kinda strange you post this. I stayed up late last night researching Paleo diet, GF diet, and sugar detox diet. I am just at my witts end. SOMETHING is causing me to fail at every weight loss attempt I have, and I really think it's sugar. I just had a root canal and need at least 4 more. Also, I need 2 fillings. Had a root canal last year. 1200 for 2 root canals is an awesome price. Is that not counting the crown? Mine was 1938 for ONE, canal and crown. The crowns cost a ridiculous price! Anyway, I think you are good to change up and try. Do let us know how it's going, and more frequently if you can! ;) Congrats on being nearly in the 170s. I still just can't believe all that about your friend.

Valerie (seattlerunnergirl) said...

Adrienne, I have been fighting going fully Paleo, too. And I love reading about Weston Price's findings. I am not ready to commit 100% to a Whole 30, but I started cooking yesterday so that I can stock up freezer meals and get through the rest of this month with no sugar and no grains. I guess I'll start with lunch, since I already had a breakfast wrap (grains) this morning! Let me know if having some accountability/support would help - it would definitely help me!